Thursday, July 8, 2010

Update

I'd like to cover a lot of ground in this post, much of it unrelated to the rest.

1) With great reluctance and excitement, I've become a Montana resident, and have even registered to vote here.

Giving up my South Carolina voting rights is like changing the station from Jerry Springer to C-Span. We are, after all, the home of the "Appalachian Trail" hike, Strom Thurmond, Confederate Flag,

state monument to the father of gynecology,

State Senators who think that "raghead" is an appropriate appellation (for both Indian Americans and African Americans), and Presidential candidate of the American Nazi party. While I support very few of these extremes, they do provide a glorious and trashy conflict that I will miss participating in. Though a resident of Montana, I will always be a Son of South Carolina.


2) I have found a new way to humiliate myself. I have purchased a Kona Major Jake cyclocross bike. Western Montana is filled with nearly endless dirt roads that are accessible by neither road bike, nor mountain bike. A "cross" bike will allow me myriad new training routes and, hopefully, delay the onset of madness which happens with too much T.I.T.S. (Time in the Saddle). The humiliation, will commence when I will be forced through peer pressure to race said, cross bike in cyclocross races this fall.


3) This is just kinda cool:

http://www.bettysdivine.com/2010/07/big-style-small-photo.html

Thanks for the help!

4) I will be racing in Helen this weekend at the Spring Meadow triathlon. It is an Olympic distance (1 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 6 mile run) triathlon with past winners including Linsey Corbin and Brandon Fuller. I'm really pretty pumped about this race for a few reasons: 1) I haven't raced in awhile and I love racing. 2) I've done a lot of good work especially in the water and on the run, since I've raced last and am excited to see what it looks like. 3) I have a new bike fit on my TT (time trial or triathlon) bike thanks to Alex and Missoula Bicycle Works and his trusty intern Kipp.

5) ...and Ben Horan fell over:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors